We all want compounding knowledge, investments and passion in our lives. Our guest this week, Gautam Baid, shows us how to do that.
Gautam Baid, CFA, is portfolio manager at an SEC-registered investment advisor based in Salt Lake City, Utah. Previously, he served at the Mumbai, London and Hong Kong offices of Citigroup. He also worked at Deutsche Bank as senior analyst in their healthcare investment banking teams. Gautam Baid is a CFA charterholder and member of CFA Institute. He was profiled in Morningstar’s Learn From The Masters series in 2018-2019.
During our chat we discuss passion, flexible thinking and why P/E ratios aren’t everything.
- [1:02] Intro Questions
- [7:30] Gautam’s First Role as Portfolio Manager
- [8:45] Resilience & Persistence as a Superpower
- [14:01] Writing The Joys of Compounding
- [20:48] The Feynman Technique of Learning
- [22:45] Using The Feynman Technique for New Stocks
- [31:25] P/E Anchoring Bias
- [39:05] The Erosion of Brand-Name Stocks
- [46:10] Why You Should Journal
- [51:05] Investor Biases & How To Tell if You’re Wrong
- [61:21] Insatiable Curiosity
- [64:57] Closing Questions
I loved this conversation. It went outside investing and focused on an individual’s pursuit of personal excellence. This idea of compounding knowledge and passion applies to every area of our lives.
Gautam lived his own Pursuit of Happiness movie during the early stages of his career. Baid showed that with passion, anything is possible. I know, it sounds cliche. But it’s true! It’s amazing what can happen when you commit to something. Whether that something is trading, marriage or a fitness routine.
Here’s some personal questions I’m asking myself after chatting with Gautam:
- What would it look like if I fully committed to my passions?
- What/Who is stopping me from achieving success?
- Do I fully understand the power of compounding outside the investment community?
Thanks again for listening. Let me know what guest I should have on the show next!
Learn More About Gautam Baid
Want to learn more about Gautam? Check out these resources: